How long does it take to get an SSL certificate?
Depending on what you choose, it could take minutes-or up to five business days
SSL issuance time varies by the certificate type you choose. Each level of validation takes a different length of time to complete. Whereas a simple Domain Validation SSL certificate can be issued within minutes of being order, Extended Validation can take as long a full week-unless you shop with us, that is.
How long does it take to issue each type of SSL certificate?
There are three types of SSL certificate: Domain Validation, Organization Validation and Extended Validation. Here's how long it takes to get each type:
There are a few things you can do to reduce the amount of time it takes to get your SSL certificate.
What do I need to complete Domain Validation?
Domain Validation only requires Domain Control Validation to complete. This process is fully automated and can be completed within minutes of ordering the certificate. There are three ways to verify domain control.
- Email-based Validation - Comodo will email the address on your WHO.IS record, or one of five pre-approved addresses. Simply respond in the affirmative.
- File-based Validation - Comodo will email you a text file to place in your website's main directory. Afterwards Comodo will scan for the file.
- CNAME-based Validation - Comodo will email you a hash to place in your CNAME DNS record. Afterwards Comodo will scan for the file.
What do I need to complete Organization Validation?
Organization Validation requires light business vetting. Comodo is going to check to make sure you're legally registered and have all the correct documentation. This can take a few days due to the human element. To satisfy Organization Validation Comodo must verify:
What do I need to complete Extended Validation?
Extended Validation requires the most rigorous vetting, but also unlocks an invaluable, unique visual indicator. Comodo is going to check that your company or organization is legal registered and active. It can take up to a week because of human element. Here's what Comodo needs to verify for Extended Validation:
Is there any way to speed up SSL validation?
Yes! There are a couple of documents that you can furnish that will speed up how long it takes to get an SSL certificate. They are:
- Professional Opinion Letter - A notarized form, signed by an accredited attorney or accountant, that declares your company or organization an active, functioning legal entity. A POL can satisfy five of the seven requirements for EV.
- Dun & Bradstreet Credit Report - Dun & Bradstreet credit reports contain information that can verify operation existence, physical address and your telephone listing. To get a Dun & Bradstreet credit report you can click here.
Can you speed up the validation process for me?
Maybe. If you contact us, and it's urgent, we can get your order moved to the front of the queue. We've gotten EV SSL issued in just minutes before. We don't make any guarantees, but we'll do our best for you.
Compare SSL Certificates